Creating reliable backup workflows with IBM Spectrum Protect™ and Spectra®
Spectra Logic’s data storage solutions paired with IBM’s Spectrum Protect offer businesses a reliable, high-performing backup and recovery solution. The software-defined storage approach provided by IBM Spectrum Protect offers the freedom to choose any storage target – disk or tape – while Spectra’s storage solutions offer the best in cost, reliability and scalability from a company with over 40 years in the storage industry. The combination provides long-term digital preservation for an organization’s most highly valued asset – its data.
IBM Spectrum Protect, formerly Tivoli® Storage Manager, provides a comprehensive set of data protection capabilities with simplified licensing on a tiered per-terabyte (TB) metric. It automates data backup, restore and archive functions and centralizes data management operations. The dynamic tiering capability of IBM’s Spectrum Protect allows data to be placed on any one of Spectra Logic’s tape libraries or BlackPearl platforms. Spectra assures that the hardware platform is compatible with its IBM Spectrum Protect software counterpart in cost, performance and size required by the customer.
- Enables software-defined storage environments: delivers file, block and object data protection
- Mitigates the risk of data loss: frequent snapshots, multi-site replication and disaster recovery management
- Reduces the total cost of data protection: built-in efficiency features reduce backup infrastructure costs by more than 50 percent, delivered entirely in software
- Superior HSM Functionality: Spectra’s TFinity® Tape Library functions as a deep data active archive when connected to the Spectrum Protect HSM, providing fast access to archival data.
Learn more about the IBM Spectrum Protect program at:
Operational enhancements through tight integration of hardware and software
Robotic Load Balancing – When using Robotic Load Balancing there is an approximate 20% improvement in the tape mount rate of a TFinity in a single exporter library with both TeraPorters processing moves in parallel. With Robotic Load Balancing enabled, moves are sent to the library by the software. After a quick verification of media availability, the library immediately sends a success message for the first move received; then the library processes the second move received using the second TeraPorter, thus allowing two moves in parallel.
Reliable Storage Targets
- Cost: tape as low as 3 cents/GB (online) and 1/2 cent/GB (offline); disk as low as 10 cents/GB
- Performance: Tape throughput of up to 466TB/hr compressed; disk achieves up to 10GB/sec
- Scalability: Over 2EB of capacity in a single tape library, and 20PB in a single disk rack
Trusted backup and recovery software
IBM Spectrum Protect provides scalable data protection for physical file servers, applications, and virtual environments. Organizations can scale up to manage billions of objects per backup server. They can also reduce backup infrastructure costs with built-in data efficiency capabilities and store data on tape, on object storage, and in the cloud.