Tiered Data Management and Storage with HPE Data Management Framework and Spectra TFinity® ExaScale and T950 Tape Libraries
Integrate a Cost-Effective HSM Platform
Implementation of a hierarchical storage management (HSM) strategy has never been more important to customers. DMF7 is a powerful policy-based HSM platform that migrates data between premium priced high-performance flash, expensive highcapacity disk and cost-effective tape. DMF7 and Spectra’s TFinity ExaScale and T950 Tape Libraries can be configured to ensure that inactive data doesn’t sit on expensive storage any longer than it needs to.
- Certified – Engineering tested to ensure reliable, consistent operation
- State of the art – Support for the latest enterprise-class LTO technologies
- Management at scale – Manage backup, HSM and archive via administrator-defined policies
- Accelerated retrieval – Recover data: 1) automatically via file system access; 2) from tertiary tape copies when the first copy is unreadable; and 3) from multiple tape drives for higher bandwidth
- Automated library management – consolidate sparsley written tapes, recycle expired tape, migrate data to newer tape technology generations
- Optimize data storage cost – Reduce data storage cost vs. flash/disk; use tape as the foundation of a 3-2-1 archive strategy
DMF7 is the only tool that knows where the data is.
– HPE Data Systems
Operational enhancements through tight integration of software and hardware
With Spectra and DMF – storage can be up to 10 times less expensive than archival cloud storage. DMF delivers data center tiering technology that enables the deployment of the lowest cost data storage – tape. Spectra tape storage utilizes industry leading density and efficient power consumption, making tape the most economical storage on the market today.
Spectra Logic has collaborated with the engineers at HPE (DMF) to optimize the zoning functionality with the TFinity ExaScale tape library. This optimization means that users can take advantage of using both robots in parallel to achieve industry leading robotic mount performance. Changes were also made to each software package so that the tape barcode can be associated with the corresponding TeraPack® barcode in which the tape resides. This allows DMF to sort the move queue for each zone so that tapes from the same TeraPack can be loaded in order into drives, which further increases robotic mount performance.