Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Advanced Tape Storage Integration: HPE Data Management Framework & Spectra Tape Libraries
Tiered Data Management and Storage with HPE Data Management Framework and Spectra TFinity® ExaScale and T950 Tape Libraries
Integrate a Cost-Effective HSM Platform
Ultimately, data and files that are infrequently used and/or fall into disuse should be tiered to the most cost-effective storage for long-term archiving. DMF7 is a data curator for files destined for the archive. Through policies that can be customized to meet each customers’ business needs, DMF7 automates the archiving process from end-to-end; determines which files should be archived, moves those files and their metadata into the archive, protects files in the archive, and even expires copies of files in the archive. Spectra tape storage and DMF7 are at the heart of this archive solution, working together to support 3-2-1 archive strategies (3 copies, 2 media types, 1 offsite copy). Advanced Tape Storage Integration: HPE Data Management Framework & Spectra Tape Libraries DMF7
- Certified – Engineering tested to ensure reliable, consistent operation
- State of the art – Support for the latest enterprise-class LTO technologies
- Management at scale – Manage backup, HSM and archive via administrator-defined policies
- Accelerated retrieval – Recover data: 1) automatically via file system access; 2) from tertiary tape copies when the first copy is unreadable; and 3) from multiple tape drives for higher bandwidth
- Automated library management – consolidate sparsley written tapes, recycle expired tape, migrate data to newer tape technology generations
- Optimize data storage cost – Reduce data storage cost vs. flash/disk; use tape as the foundation of a 3-2-1 archive strategy
Operational enhancements through tight integration of software and hardware
With Spectra and DMF – storage can be up to 10 times less expensive than archival cloud storage. DMF delivers data center tiering technology that enables the deployment of the lowest cost data storage – tape. Spectra tape storage utilizes industry leading density and efficient power consumption, making tape the most economical storage on the market today.
Spectra Logic has collaborated with the engineers at HPE (DMF) to optimize the zoning functionality with the TFinity ExaScale tape library. This optimization means that users can take advantage of using both robots in parallel to achieve industry leading robotic mount performance. Changes were also made to each software package so that the tape barcode can be associated with the corresponding TeraPack® barcode in which the tape resides. This allows DMF to sort the move queue for each zone so that tapes from the same TeraPack can be loaded in order into drives, which further increases robotic mount performance.