StorCycle Data Protection
Active Directory Integration
StorCycle is installed on a Windows server and includes integration with Active Directory (AD). Active Directory integration provides for several benefits:
- AD users can be granted various permissions for access to the StorCycle web management interface (see section above).
- When files are migrated by StorCycle, their AD-based access permissions are recorded. When the files are restored, those access permissions are reapplied.
- All AD users can optionally be given permission to be able to restore files migrated by StorCycle.
Data Integrity and Protection
Spectra StorCycle includes a number of Attack-Hardened features to ensure that migrated data is safe and secure, both when initially migrated and in the future.
- Ransomware Snapshots: Integrates directly with Spectra’s BlackPearl snapshot feature. When enabled, StorCycle initiates snapshots of BlackPearl volumes at the end of migrate jobs, and optionally maintains immutable read-only status of volumes, providing Attack-Hardened protection from network intrusions, such as ransomware attacks, by reducing accessible attack vectors.
- BlackPearl Bucket Adoption: Allows users to configure an existing BlackPearl object storage system as a storage location, and automatically adopt the contents of the bucket into the StorCycle database. The objects remain in the bucket, but are available for StorCycle restorations. Bucket adoption enables existing BlackPearl customers to integrate StorCycle into their workflows for easy access to object or tape archive.
StorCycle uses the SHA-256 checksum method. This modern checksum method is commonly used, works well with Intel and AMD processors, and minimizes risks of collisions and attacks. A basic level of checksum verification is also included in the TCP/IP communication used by StorCycle. For StorCycle storage targets supporting HTTPS/SSL (BlackPearl, S3), the HTTPS protocol also includes basic checksum verification.
Some data will continue to be stored forever, but not all data needs to be kept forever. Leveraging StorCycle’s scheduled delete feature, users can now configure automatic deletions of data migrated/stored by a project after StorCycle retains it for a specified number of days. Users will get email notifications about pending deletions five days before data is deleted.