Hybrid Cloud Storage
Cloud storage is traditionally used for offsite backup, data distribution, and archiving. While it has many benefits, public cloud also raises security, compliance and control concerns.
Today, many organizations are benefiting from a hybrid cloud storage model in which some data is stored in the cloud and some stored using on-premise disk and tape solutions. Spectra’s BlackPearl Converged Storage System enables massive amounts of data to be stored for the long-term, at virtually no cost, and now includes cloud storage as another storage option.
BlackPearl provides a single interface that lets users easily send and retrieve large amounts of data directly from their existing native applications, to and from any storage platform including online and nearline disk, digital tape, including ejected disaster recovery copies, and the public cloud.
In fact, Spectra’s BlackPearl integrates directly with Amazon S3 Standard, and Standard – Infrequent Access (Standard-IA), and is one of few products that will automatically restore data archived to Glacier. Spectra’s BlackPearl provides a powerful, self-contained, policy-driven solution for all types of archive and tiered storage both locally and in the cloud.
- Allows data to be moved easily to the public cloud for archive or disaster recovery
- Ensures true genetic diversity of data storage via storage on different media types and geographic dispersion of data
- Creates a multi-tier private cloud to store a copy of frequently accessed data on online disk and archive infrequently or rarely accessed data indefinitely on BlackPearl Object Storage Disk archive or Spectra Logic tape
- Shares content globally by utilizing the public cloud’s inherent infrastructure to make content available to disparate users and sites worldwide
- Provides data retrieval management policies to limit or prevent unexpected retrieval charges through BlackPearl’s Advanced Bucket Management System
- Provides readily accessible and secure local data storage at a fraction of the cost of long-term cloud storage while leveraging the cloud for both disaster recovery and distribution
Customers now have the ability to create their own flexible hybrid storage ecosystem with the combination of Spectra’s BlackPearl® Converged Storage System and Cyberduck’s free, open source client software tool. The combination enables fast file transfers between primary storage, local tape and disk-based private clouds, and any public cloud provider.
The integration of Cyberduck as a certified BlackPearl client gives users the ability to seamlessly and simply move data between previously disparate storage platforms including local file systems, remote FTP systems, a host of public cloud storage, as well as Spectra’s deep storage options.
What are the Benefits of BlackPearl and Cyberduck?
- Create your own end-to-end hybrid storage solution for ultimate control
- Eliminate vendor lock-in and browse data from any storage domain with ease Develop a genetically diverse hybrid storage environment to prevent data loss
- Own your data and share it globally
- Archive infrequently accessed data to disk and/or tape for pennies per gigabyte, reducing storage and recall fees associated with a pure public cloud strategy
- Move data between disparate storage platforms including local file systems, remote FTP systems and a host of public cloud storage, including: Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Google Cloud Storage and Drive, Microsoft Azure, Rackspace Cloudfiles and iRODs.
Cyberduck version 5.0 is a standalone open source client for transferring files between servers, including both public and private cloud environments. It is available for both PC and MAC platforms and can be downloaded directly from the Spectra Logic Developer page and is free for Spectra customers.