Spectra LTO Libraries Meet NASCAR Productions’ 260% Video Footage Growth
BOULDER, Colo.—March 5, 2013—Spectra Logic today announced that NASCAR Productions has selected a Spectra® TFinity tape library to archive 180,000 hours (8.0PB) of NASCAR Productions’ high-resolution video footage. The enterprise-class TFinity, utilizing LTO data tape technology, will manage and store NASCAR’s vast historical broadcast data, including NASCAR-related events, TV programs, movies, commercials and other broadcast-related data sets. NASCAR’s video footage was previously archived on a Spectra T950 tape library, enabling a transition to a higher-capacity TFinity tape library using Spectra’s TranScale feature, which protects prior investments and allows users to seamlessly transform and scale an existing tape library.
“When NASCAR Productions purchased the T950 library in 2008 it was configured to archive 50,000 hours of video footage, and in just five years, its broadcast data bloomed by 260 percent to 180,000 hours,” said Brian Grainger, Spectra Logic’s senior vice president of worldwide sales. “We have served NASCAR’s storage needs for many years, and were pleased to help them meet their growing needs with Spectra’s efficient, timesaving TranScale capabilities. Spectra Logic prides itself on developing long-term relationships within the industry’s vendor, partner and end-user communities and, as the NASCAR solution illustrates, working with those contacts to meet unique and ever-changing data preservation needs.”
With Spectra’s TranScale architecture, TSeries tape library customers can utilize the common, interchangeable components between Spectra’s TSeries library family, enabling customers to seamlessly scale to the next largest library as data sets grow. The TranScale upgrade is easy and fast. It allows users to retain critical tape library components, eliminates the need for host/server reconfiguration, serial number changes, world-wide name changes, and switch rezoning, and is guaranteed to be completed in less than half a day. NASCAR Productions TranScaled from its T950 to a TFinity with a simple chassis change.
“NASCAR needed to expand its data storage to accommodate a growing amount of video data. Spectra’s TranScale feature allowed us to transform our T950 into an upgraded TFinity tape library,” said Steve Stum, NASCAR Productions’ vice president of operations and technical production. “The upgrade process involved a simple chassis replacement instead of a complex technology refresh, and we were able to complete the process in just a few hours.”
TFinity Award Wins
- 2012 Storage magazine/SearchStorage.com Quality Awards. Spectra Logic earned top honors in the 2012 Quality Awards program, winning both the enterprise and midrange tape library categories, and marking the sixth time the company has won first place in a Quality Awards category. (December 2012)
- DCIG Big Data Tape Library Buyer's Guide. Spectra® TFinity and T950 tape libraries achieved the highest rankings and were named the market's "Best in Class" products in the Data Center Infrastructure Group (DCIG) 2012 Big Data Tape Library Buyer's Guide. (May 2012)
- Storage Awards. The Spectra TFinity tape library was recognized at the 2011 UK Storage Awards ('The Storries') as the Tape-Based Product of the Year, as voted by the readers of Storage Magazine. (June 2011)
- Storage magazine/SearchStorage.com Products of the Year. The Spectra TFinity tape library was named a finalist in the backup hardware category. (January 2011)
- Storage magazine/SearchStorage.com Quality Awards. Spectra Logic received the highest scores in all six categories for its midrange and enterprise tape libraries, including the TFinity, in the Quality Awards V Program. (December 2010)
- Spectra TFinity Green Storage Product of the Year. The Spectra TFinity was named "Green Storage Product of the Year" at Storage Awards 2010. The Storries VII awards program honors outstanding products, services and people, and winners are selected based on votes submitted by readers of Storage Magazine in the UK. (June 2010)
- Spectra TFinity DICE Product of the Year. The Spectra TFinity was named "Product of the Year" in the 2nd annual DICE Data Intensive Impact Awards. The awards program showcases products and technologies that have enabled progress in HPC data management in locality, movement, manipulation and integrity, as well as power and cooling efficiencies. (April 2010)
- Storage Visions Awards. The Spectra TFinity tape library earned the award for "Professional Media and Entertainment Storage" in the Ninth Annual Storage Visions Conference awards program. (January 2010)
NASCAR Productions-Spectra Logic Industry Recognition
- Computerworld’s Best Practices in Storage Awards. NASCAR’s Spectra T950 deployment won the award in the ‘Selecting and Deploying a Storage Network’ category. Read the press release here. (May 2008)
More information about Spectra Logic Corporation is available here.
# # #
Linda Dellett, 303-439-9398
Kathleen Sullivan, 303-439-9365
Spectra and the Spectra Logic logo are registered trademarks of Spectra Logic Corporation. All rights reserved worldwide. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.